InternshipsAt Humphrey, Giacopuzzi & Associates teaching is an integral part of our program.
Education is an important part of Humphrey, Giacopuzzi & Associates as our doctors work to impart their wisdom and teach all aspects of both the care and medical needs of our patients through our student program.
The philosophy of our internship program is to teach communication skills, work and professional ethics. We provide hands-on experience in a professional environment with a diversified caseload. Interns are treated (and expected to act) as doctors. You will receive your own appointments, work-up emergencies, run anesthesia, and assist with surgical procedures after a brief initial training period.
It is recommended (but not required) that applicants for the 2020-2021 HGAE internship program complete an externship at the clinic before applying. To apply for an internship position, please send a curriculum vitae, letter of intent, veterinary school transcripts, and three letters of reference to Dr. Hannah Klasson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by November 1, 2019 and applicants will be notified by November 15 of our selection.
Please note: at this time we are unfortunately unable to accommodate international veterinary students who have not completed the NAVLE into our internship program.
General Internship Information
- 50% ambulatory/50% in hospital— the intern is in charge of overseeing all hospital patients, including organizing morning treatments, evaluating and SOAPing daily problems.
- Supervision for hospital calls. Most ambulatory calls will be solo, although assistance is always available through the intern’s “back-up” staff veterinarian.
- Intern participates in a rotating on-call and anesthesia schedule.
- On-site housing and intern ambulatory vehicle is provided.
- Competitive salary.
Externship Program Goals
- To provide experience for an individual veterinary medical student relative to a veterinarian’s commitment and involvement with the profession.
- To provide experience whereby the students and veterinarian may share medical knowledge and its application.
- To familiarize students with the daily realities of veterinary medicine, which include clinical, financial, and management decisions.
- To increase the variety of clinical cases and client interaction that students encounter during their education.
- To acquaint the student with the professional activity and the role of the veterinarian in a community.
- To provide the student with an opportunity to apply knowledge gained through formal education to practical situations.
- To explore the possibilities of future employment as an intern.
Please contact Dr. Hannah Klasson at email@example.com for further information regarding externship and internship opportunities for veterinary students.
HGAE does offer limited availability tech externships for students currently enrolled in RVT programs. Please contact Bex Felch at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and availability.